Council Vacancies

Town and Parish Councillors are the essence of local democracy and have a vital role in speaking and acting on behalf of the communities they represent.  For more information on being a Councillor see the Good Councillor Guide 2017.

Town and Parish elections are held every four years.

Sometimes casual vacancies occur during the four year cycle and these can be filled, either by election or by co-option. (Co-option is used when an election is not called – you submit your name with other applicants to the Town Council; they vote for their choice to fill the vacancy.)

No formal qualifications are required to be a Councillor but there are rules to satisfy if you are to submit your name. There is no deposit to pay to stand for election.

All Councillors must agree to abide by a Code of Conduct and to declare any interests which may conflict with their duties as Town Council members.

For further information on co-option for a casual vacancy and application form use the following link: Co-option of Town Councillors (Casual Vacancy)

There is currently 1 vacant seats in the Appleby Ward and 1 seat in the Bongate Ward.