Which Authority is responsible for what?

What does Appleby Town Council do?

  • Operates the Tourist Information Centre
  • Runs the Public Hall
  • Operates Market Arcade Toilets
  • Maintains Council owned property
  • Maintains 13 footway lights around The Butts and 1 in Coronation Park
  • Gives views, on behalf of the community, on planning applications and other proposals that affect the town
  • Undertakes projects and schemes that benefit local residents
  • Works in partnership with other bodies to achieve benefits for the town
  • Alerts other authorities to problems that arise or work that needs to be undertaken
  • Represent local people, helping to provide local amenities and facilities and are consulted regularly by county and district councils
  • Awards grants to help local community groups and charities

Tel: 017683 51177

Email: clerk@applebytown.org.uk


What does Eden District Council do?

  • Building control
  • Car parks
  • Council Tax and Benefits
  • Electoral services
  • Planning
  • Licensing and street trading
  • Markets
  • Recycling and refuse collection
  • Sport and leisure centres
  • Street cleaning and dealing with fly tipping
  • Town centre management

Tel: 01768 817817

Email: customer.services@eden.gov.uk


What does Cumbria County Council do?

  • Blue/car badges
  • Children’s services
  • Concessionary travel
  • Education and schools
  • Emergency planning
  • Health and social care
  • Highways
  • Libraries and archives
  • Public rights of way
  • Public transport services
  • Registration of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships
  • Strategic planning and some planning applications
  • Trading Standards
  • Transport
  • Waste recycling centres
  • Parking enforcement

Tel: 01228 606060

Email: information@cumbriacc.gov.uk


What does the Environment Agency do?

  • Regulating major industry and waste
  • Water quality and resources
  • Inland river, estuary and harbour navigations
  • Responsible for managing the risk of flooding from main rivers, reservoirs, estuaries and the sea

Tel: 03708 506 506

Email: enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk


What does Highways England do?

  • Manages and maintains the A66.

Tel: 0300 123 5000

Email: info@highwaysengland.co.uk