Which Authority is responsible for what?
What does Appleby Town Council do?
- Operates the Tourist Information Centre
- Runs the Public Hall
- Operates Market Arcade Toilets
- Maintains Council owned property
- Maintains 13 footway lights around The Butts and 1 in Coronation Park
- Gives views, on behalf of the community, on planning applications and other proposals that affect the town
- Undertakes projects and schemes that benefit local residents
- Works in partnership with other bodies to achieve benefits for the town
- Alerts other authorities to problems that arise or work that needs to be undertaken
- Represent local people, helping to provide local amenities and facilities and are consulted regularly by county and district councils
- Awards grants to help local community groups and charities
Tel: 017683 51177
What does Eden District Council do?
- Building control
- Car parks
- Council Tax and Benefits
- Electoral services
- Licensing and street trading
- Recycling and refuse collection
- Sport and leisure centres
- Street cleaning and dealing with fly tipping
- Town centre management
Tel: 01768 817817
What does Cumbria County Council do?
- Blue/car badges
- Children’s services
- Concessionary travel
- Education and schools
- Emergency planning
- Health and social care
- Libraries and archives
- Public rights of way
- Public transport services
- Registration of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships
- Strategic planning and some planning applications
- Trading Standards
- Waste recycling centres
- Parking enforcement
Tel: 01228 606060
What does the Environment Agency do?
- Regulating major industry and waste
- Water quality and resources
- Inland river, estuary and harbour navigations
- Responsible for managing the risk of flooding from main rivers, reservoirs, estuaries and the sea
Tel: 03708 506 506
What does Highways England do?
- Manages and maintains the A66.
Tel: 0300 123 5000