Election: Thursday 2nd May 2019
All 16 seats (8 each for the Wards of Appleby and Bongate) on Appleby Town Council will be up for election on Thursday 2nd May 2019. Councillors are elected for a term of four years. Councillors are unpaid. Council meetings are held in the Council Chamber at the Moot Hall and are open to the public and the press.
Stand for Appleby-in Westmorland Town Council – represent your community.
Town councillors are the essence of local democracy and have a vital role in speaking and acting on behalf of the communities they represent. For more information on being a councillor see the Good Councillor Guide 2017.
To be a Town Councillor you must be:
- 18 or over on the day of nomination;
- a UK, Republic of Ireland, EU or qualifying Commonwealth citizen;
and meet at least one of the following four criteria:
- be registered as an elector (and will continue to be) in the parish; or
- have lived in the parish for the past twelve months or within 4.8 kilometres of it; or
- have occupied as owner or tenant any premises or land in the parish for the past twelve months; or
- have had your main or only place of work in the parish for the past twelve months.
Download and print a nomination pack: Nomination Pack
Notice of the election will be on Wednesday 20th March 2019.
Nominations must be returned by hand to Eden District Council at the Town Hall, Penrith from the publication date until the deadline at 4pm on Wednesday 3rd April 2019.
Further guidance is available from the Electoral Commission “Guidance for Candidates and Agents : https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/candidate-or-agent/local-elections-in-england