Managing Complaints

The Council is committed to providing the people who live, work or are visitors to Appleby in Westmorland with the best possible levels of service.

If you would like to bring something to the attention of the Council please complete a Comments Form and return it to the Clerk.  Contact: Appleby in Westmorland Town Council, The Moot Hall, Boroughgate, Appleby in Westmorland, Cumbria, CA16 6YB; tel: 017683 51177; email:

If you are dissatisfied with the standard of service provided, or are unhappy about an action or lack of action by the Council our Complaints Procedure sets out how you may formally complain and how we shall try to resolve your complaint.  Formal complaints must be in writing and can be submitted by completing our Complaints Form.

Wherever possible the Council will make every effort to deal with any complaints informally. When complaints cannot be resolved informally they are managed differently depending on their nature.

Other Complaints

Complaints about an employee of the Council will be dealt with as an employment matter and complainants can be assured that the matter will be dealt with internally and that appropriate action will be taken as required.

If you believe that a Councillor is in breach of the Council’s Code of Conduct a complaint may be lodged with Monitoring Officer of Eden District Town Council.  Contact: Mr Matthew Neal, Eden District Town Council, Town Hall, Penrith, Cumbria, CA11 7QF; tel: 01768 817817; email:; website:

Complaints about the Council’s financial affairs should be lodged with the Audit Commission.  Contact:  Audit Commission, 3rd Floor, Fry Building, 2 Marsham Street, London, SW1P 4DF;  tel: 0303 444 8330; email:; website:

Complaints about not releasing information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 can be referred to the Information Commissioner’s Office.  Contact: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF;  tel: 0303 123 1113; email:; website: